Daz Preview assets appear black and are impossible to work with.

IamUnderman

May 11, 2020
Hi, I am getting to grips with Daz and I am beginning to render full scenes. However whenever I load an asset with lighting features it turns the entire preview scene pitch black which makes it impossible to work with. When I actually render the image it looks perfect, however it is impossible to pose assets or see what im doing when everything is so dark. I am sure there is a setting I need to change but I haven't got a clue so any help would be appreciated.

A screenshot of my preview screen is included to demonstrate what I'm dealing with.

1723558182949.png

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
CTRL-L is your friend.

The preview light tends to wash out the 3D effect when working though, so when you are doing minute pose adjustments while zoomed in tight to a character, you can just pop a spot light on the area you are working to see a better texture shaded version (CTRL-L the preview light off in that case)

Reactions: IamUnderman

eri

Game Developer
Dec 3, 2017
Either what other said or some lights in the scene making it black. Like... light from tv or something. Deleting it will help but you will have to replace light... or whatever you do with it.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
What's happening here is when you first start up a scene in Daz (unless you manually turn the setting off) is that the perspective view starts with the headlamp on. Whenever you importing something into the scene itself that features some sort of light, Daz will typically turn it off. So, there's a couple ways of going about getting something close to what you had.

1a. CTRL + L, as already mentioned.

1b. Create a new camera (the camera icon at the top) > Apply Active Viewport Transforms > Camera Pane (Bottom left window with the tabs, might have to scroll. If it's not there, go to Window dropdown > "Panes (Tab)" > Cameras.) > Headlamp > Headlamp Mode: On. Remember to turn this off before you render or use Iray Preview.

2. Add a spotlight, change light geometry to rectangle, and then turn the spread angle up. Make sure you hide this light before you render as this should be specifically used as only a viewport light of sort.

There's a few other ways, but these two are probably the fastest.