Others Tips for getting started with Godot Engine

TheMindsEye

Jun 24, 2024
I'm using Godot Engine and i'm trying to make a phone interface for my game (it's like a texting app where the player can interact with some NPC's chats). But i'm stuck and i would love to have some tips/video tutorial where i can find some explanation on how it works.

Aug 28, 2021
On which steps do you need help?

To create an app like, you need some container and some scene to instantiate when needed.

For illustration, you can have a GridContainer which display a lot of TextureButton, each showing a photo, over a Panel. It's enough to make it look like an app.
A click on one button trigger a conversation scene in which you send the data you want. This scene manage when to show an image, when to display text, etc. It could be as simple as a SlideContainer in which you add children every time something happen.

This mean, you need a good understanding of instances and signals.

Also, how deep you want interactions to go within this pseudo app? You may want to take a look at some dialogue addons for complex/deep conversations

Reactions: TheMindsEye

TheMindsEye

Jun 24, 2024
On which steps do you need help?

To create an app like, you need some container and some scene to instantiate when needed.

For illustration, you can have a GridContainer which display a lot of TextureButton, each showing a photo, over a Panel. It's enough to make it look like an app.
A click on one button trigger a conversation scene in which you send the data you want. This scene manage when to show an image, when to display text, etc. It could be as simple as a SlideContainer in which you add children every time something happen.

This mean, you need a good understanding of instances and signals.

Also, how deep you want interactions to go within this pseudo app? You may want to take a look at some dialogue addons for complex/deep conversations
I do work as an IT but i never developed anything with Godot Engine so i probably need a good tutorial guide to learn the syntax.
For example, i'm not used to apply SlideContainers or Grids, but i will learn more in the next period of time. I know how children works outside from this framework so i can give it a try.

Btw the interaction is a bit long i want the character to have really long session of texting with some NPCs

Aug 28, 2021
I havn't look tutorial on UI for a while, has some good one for previous version (3.5). Some functions and properties were renamed between 3.* and 4.* but for most part it should give you a good (and kinda deep) view on Control nodes, which are all UI related classes availables.

I learnt mostly from this playlist it's for an inventory but he used many Control, explaining why and how, etc. Really good stuff.

For basics, Godot documentation is quite good, you might need to have it always open if you try to follow a 3.* tutorial.

Btw the interaction is a bit long i want the character to have really long session of texting with some NPCs
I'm currently working on an arpg and I've downloaded ClydeDialogue (from the AssetLib) for the dialogue parts, it seem a good option. The guy has its own dialogue scripting language, the addon is an interpreter and automate almost all tasks. You can write and test your interactions within his addon, then, in game, you just need to call a start function with a file path and it work well (hmm, it work well for my little tests. For now I have only integrated it and run a couple of sentences each time)
to see how dialogue are written in this language.
for info about Godot port.

Also, Godot Café and Godot Engine discord are massive help!

Reactions: TheMindsEye

TheMindsEye

Jun 24, 2024
I havn't look tutorial on UI for a while, has some good one for previous version (3.5). Some functions and properties were renamed between 3.* and 4.* but for most part it should give you a good (and kinda deep) view on Control nodes, which are all UI related classes availables.

I learnt mostly from this playlist it's for an inventory but he used many Control, explaining why and how, etc. Really good stuff.

For basics, Godot documentation is quite good, you might need to have it always open if you try to follow a 3.* tutorial.

I'm currently working on an arpg and I've downloaded ClydeDialogue (from the AssetLib) for the dialogue parts, it seem a good option. The guy has its own dialogue scripting language, the addon is an interpreter and automate almost all tasks. You can write and test your interactions within his addon, then, in game, you just need to call a start function with a file path and it work well (hmm, it work well for my little tests. For now I have only integrated it and run a couple of sentences each time)
to see how dialogue are written in this language.
for info about Godot port.

Also, Godot Café and Godot Engine discord are massive help!
Thank you so much man! I will give it a try for sure!